About Me

Monday, June 22, 2015

We weren't born to run, but Cali Here We Come

It's Monday night. THE Monday night that we've planned for and mentally previewed at least a few times. We catch the shuttle from the hotel at 5:45 am to make our 7:20 flight to LAX. Then just a few things to check off an ever dwindling list before Clark's medpor microtia repair surgery on Friday. (Priority one: In and Out Double-Double). Most people don't know this, but this trip has been almost three years in the making for us. I have said to several people that my anxiety level (although surprising low for the past 72 hrs.) will decrease exponentially once we are all through security and the head count still equals 5. No more, no less. I hope I wasn't lying. This is the first flight for all three girls, so of course we had to make it a semi-long (I know Oki friends, no biggie), 5 1/2 hour flight. They have enough to do in their carry-ons for a trans-continental, so let's hope that everybody is sufficiently entertained. It took a few minutes for the girls to grasp the concept of no Wi-Fi for multiple hours. ("So, what do we do?), so we downloaded a few Peppa Pig episodes for Clark and hooked her up with a mono-bud. Everyone else will have on their big girl (and one boy) panties.
My plan is to keep the blog updated during our trip, then post those to the Book. Not everyone that we know would like updates is on FB, so hopefully we are reaching a full audience this way. The other reason I wanted to blog this experience is to hopefully help a future family that may be taking this same journey, just like my NJ friend (who I've never met or spoken to, but hope to) Ed Kittings did for me with his blog "Ethan's Ear". I have read his posts over and over and have laughed, cried a little, but mostly laughed (with teary eyes, of course). There is no way I can hold a candle to Ed's blog, but maybe my type of message will speak to just the right family that needs it.
Some things I have learned so far:

  1. The new checklist feature in Evernote is amazing (even when one of the 378 things on the packing list remains unchecked because you can't find the Airline rewards key card even though it's got to be SOMEWHERE! )
  2. You can no longer get your renewed drivers' license at the DMV. It has to be mailed. And it takes 7-14 business days. In my case, exactly 12. As in, FINALLY at 2 pm today. 
  3. If you lose your wallet, the best place to look is in your wife's glove box, because that was an absolutely logical place to put it 3 weeks ago. (Reaaalllyyy...?) Also see #2, in relation to replacements).
  4. Losing your voice completely during the final preparation can prove to be challenging, but also helps to add a little humor (at my expense, of course) to what could have become meltdown mania. 
  5. We are surrounded by a level of love and care by friends and family, near and far, that we cannot even begin to comprehend or fully appreciate, due to the sheer hysteria that it would cause. We literally would not be here, able to do what we are doing without this outpouring of support and love. People have given and given and given some more. And I'm not talking small beans here. I am talking the kind of giving that hurts, in a sacrificial way. Like, we were probably a part of some family budget meeting discussions giving. Folks we know that are doing without so we can do instead. Families that have known, or are in the heat of fighting, their own battles. Friends who have sacrificed their time to ask and listen, read and care. Friends who reminded me over and over "It will happen. It has to." when I doubted. Friends who have never once said, "Are you crazy?" (to our faces). And prayer after prayer after prayer. Christ's love and grace personified in a thousand different ways by hundreds of people. 
  6. God's grace is truly sufficient. (This was just a review, not new material). I asked him to move a couple mountains and part a few seas, and, as always, he was right on time. 

We appreciate all continued prayers as we venture onward. Goodnight and see ya real soon! 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are posting about your adventures! I'm looking forward to reading about your journey in California. <3

    ReplyDelete